C.O.R.E. Medical Clinic, Inc. is one of the few methadone treatment programs in the county, and the only one in Sacramento, offering free acupuncture twice a week for all of our clients. Acupuncture has been used for 5,000 years to create healing changes in the body. At C.O.R.E., the focus of treatment is stress reduction, pain relief, and an increased sense of calm wellbeing.
Five hair-thin one-time use pins are inserted in the ears of clients in a group setting. Clients are offered a relaxing mix of six herbs as a warm tea in addition to acupuncture while quiet, gentle music plays in the background. The treatment last 40-45 minutes.
The locations of the pins are the standard protocol used in addiction and mental health treatment programs world-over:
- Shenmen, the Chinese word for "spirit gate" - used for calming and relaxing;
- Sympathetic nervous system - used for relieving tension, anxiety, and pain;
- Liver - used to detoxify as well as relax muscles and relieve anger;
- Kidney - used to detoxify as well as strengthen the body and diminish fear reactions
- Lung - used to detoxify as well as help respiration and diminish effects of long-held grief.
Last update: 9/4/14